Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Ditz - issue tracker for me

Last few days I was (also) hunting for useful, small, unobtrusive and preferably distributed or at least hosted multi component - multi project issue tracker. And sure there are a ton's of them but ... I don't need all that complexity (yet) that first-class trackers like Trac, Mantis and other's offer ... I just need to track my issues/tasks locally and maybe share them with a few others ...

An there Ditz shines! in the true UNIX philosophy -- do just one thing, but do it right -- he uses plain text files in directory to store task, simple shell commands to manipulate with them and on top of that it can generate very nice HTML issue page(s) so you can use (and send) just like some type of progress report. I really can't find any faster and simpler solution for task management than:

$ ditz add
Title: find fooo
[snip help mesage]
Find baz's partner
.

For the rest of command syntax see Ditz site

Hehe mail foo@bar.baz flashback :)

And, that's it task is in bugs directory (can be configured) as just plain YAML file. One can put that dir with sorce and under some DVCS and ... instant distributed issue tracking :D

And there is more .... all that functionality is just a few K of ruby scripts which will run on anything you can get ruby to work :) -- even on Windows ;)

Now, if I can manage to find me a good shell which works on Windows - I tried cygwin and lot of others, but I don't want UNIX emulation (and their path emulations, gimme C:\_ dammit ;)) -- I just want workable bash-like shell, rest of toolkit is already provided with GNUWin32...

No comments:

Post a Comment