Monday, March 8, 2010

VirtualBox

Put sticker *bang head here* ... use it ... rinse and repeat ....

After managing to install 3 OSes on same machine (should I count macbook's OSX as 4th, hmmm) and juggling some time between them I (finally) remembered that I can simply virtualize ... *more banging*

Now, while my Ubuntu 8.04 LTS server happily ticking in a background VirtualBox (yes, old one but it's (more or less) exact clone of my deployment VPS server) - I got perfect testing grounds for sites before making changes on live server (as soon I finish next, I'll post my adventures with git/virtualenv/fabric/django deployment cycle).

Not to mention that snapshots are great tool to try things and recover after hosing box with some ludicrous setting (etckeeper can save you sometimes but not always).

And finally got a chance to test OpenSolaris without need to add (yet another) HDD in my poor PC :)

No comments:

Post a Comment